While moving table to fit server rack, the table was still fully loaded and stuff on the floor underneath, so when the desk was slid sideways – “CRACK” – one table leg support broke out of the timber!
Plus already needed to fit table into changed space. So added bracing and supports/rails for under table storage and table extension as well as post for light/camera arm. Took over a week of mostly full time work.
the brackets and beams got in the way of storage and also interfered with mounting the rails parallel.
No physical changes to desk – no holes/cuts/screws … just a bit more wear and tear – bruises and scratches. The braces are not visible in the photos, but the really did come in handy for mounting the sliding shelves. Although it would have been a lot better if I had planned the design of bracing AND sliding shelves together! Ended up wasting quite a bit of space as
Photo shows work in progress empty desk for the record as it will be a long time before it is ever this empty again! There are three deep sliding shelves under the desk and more storage on wheels below that.
Renovated desk – before it gets lost under piles of stuff!
Still plenty of rough edges and some incomplete items, but now at the stage where can start organising things and using the new workspace … and I have been hanging out to get stuck in and enjoy it!
Next step is to do the wiring, lighting and ventilation.
The rails left over after the server rack fitout, did not have mounting holes, but mounting nipples which are great for quick fit, clip in, but require exact size hardware to match. So I spent a couple of days making by hand the brackets. Really wish I had spent the time on making a CNC to do this – as you can see every bracket is individual (ie very different!).
Plus it also took ‘forever’ (well a week) to cut the brackets, mount, adjust, remount, adjust….. the slides and bins.
Functional but very hacked rail mounting brackets